U.S. National Synthesis for the 2021-2023 Synod
The National Synthesis of the People of God in the United States of America. The synthesis marks the completion of the Diocesan Phase of the 2021-2023 Synod: For a Synodal Church: Communion, Participation, and Mission
"The publication of this document is not a concluding moment, it is instead an invitation to continue to dialogue and discern, together, those matters that weigh heavily on the hearts and minds of Catholics in the U.S." -Bishop Daniel E. Flores
Diocese of Toledo Draft Document
Below you will find the Draft Document for the Diocese of Toledo Diocesan Preparatory Phase: “For a Synodal Church”. Click on the button below to download the document. Once you have read the document, you may offer feedback by clicking the "Feedback" button below. We will take feedback until Sunday, June 19, so we have time to make final edits the document before it goes to the USCCB.
When referring to writing; writers must often synthesize large amounts of material from many sources into one piece of writing (report, essay, book, etc.). This was our task as we read through all the raw data from all committees, meetings and surveys. We pray that we have represented the heart of the information gleaned from our prayer and discernment gatherings in this draft.
The Feedback portion of the Diocesan Preparatory Phase has come to a close. The final copy will be sent to the USCCB by the end of June.
Below you will find the Raw Data received from multiple meetings with the Bishop, Regional Meetings and Online Survey. (All data submitted organized by question.) Names and identifying information have been redacted.
Timeline for the Diocese of Toledo Diocesan Preparatory Phase
- Bishop Daniel Thomas met with the Diocesan Pastoral Council to review the diocesan phase and received feedback on the questions offered in the Synod documents.
- Bishop Daniel Thomas met with the Religious Superiors in our diocese to further discuss the diocesan phase and had a discussion on the Synod questions
- Videos from Bishop Daniel Thomas introducing the Synodal Process and Pat Oedy-Murray with a reflection were put online for people to view.
- Bishop Daniel Thomas met separately with the Presbyteral Council (priests from all 15 deanery’s), Deacon Council, Diocesan Education Council and the Diocesan Council of Catholic Women to discuss the Synod questions.
- Six Prayer and Discernment Gatherings were offered throughout the diocese from mid-January through mid-March.
- Online Survey was offered from January 10 to March 31, 2022
Leading the Flock: "Communion, Participation, Mission"
Click on the button below to download Bishop Thomas' Leading the Flock: "Communion, Participation, Mission".
Prayer of the Synod, Adsumus Sancte Spiritus
We stand before You, Holy Spirit, as we gather in your name. With You alone to guide us, make Yourself at home in our hearts; teach us the way we must go and how we are to pursue it. We are weak and sinful; do not let us promote disorder. Do not let ignorance lead us down the wrong path nor partiality influence our actions.
Let us find in You our unity so that we may journey together to eternal life and not stray from the way of truth and what is right. All this we ask of You, who are at work in every place and time, in the communion of the Father and the Son, forever and ever. Amen.